Monday, September 21, 2020

Exit Slip: Group Discussion

 I do agree with a lot of other groups that we need a mix of instructional and relational teaching. There are basic rules that we have to learn (the instructional part) before we can move on to more complex ideas and eventually relational learning. However, some classmates did point out it can totally be the other way around. It is important for students to learn relationally so they do not get disinterested or disconnected from Math. What I meant is if the students can make connection with the things they learn with their own lives, it will make learning way easier. I do believe that we can totally do both types of learning at the same time. It does not have to be one or the other.

Another group also mentioned that in China ( or Asia in general), students are taught to be efficient with Math and understanding the material itself is not the top priority. Being someone who went through elementary and secondary education, I find this very true. I was raised and taught by this education system and to be honest, up until this day, there are still topics (not just in Math) I still do not fully understand. With this system, you end up with a lot of what we call "examination machines/robots" where students are so well trained and drilled for the exams and ONLY exams. And students who are raised in this culture will have anxiety not just in exams, but in the subjects as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ivan. The high-stakes exam system driving education is a nightmare, really -- it goes against the quality of education and makes students so anxious in general.

    ReplyDelete

Course Reflection

 I have thoroughly enjoyed this course in this semester. The most rewarding part of the course is witnessing the transformation of myself th...