My favourite Math teacher was my high school teacher when I was studying in Singapore. The reason for that is simple: her classes are not boring. She was a very easygoing person. She cared about the students even outside of class. I would say she developed a very good rapport with our class. This is why students were more willing to speak up, discuss and share during class. The interactions within the class and our teacher was just phenomenal. She was definitely one of the reasons why I continued doing Math after high school and now the BEd program!
My least favourite is also another Math teacher in my high school in Singapore. He was just the total opposite. He read from the notes, copy formula from the textbook and did examples from the textbook. You can pretty much learn everything at home reading the textbook without attending his class. There was no interaction between teacher and students and I do not remember anything exciting from his class at all. And I told myself I definitely do not want to become this kind of teacher in the future. But it takes effort and innovation to become the first type of teacher. Having good relationship with students also helps.
Letter from student A (student who loves my teaching):
Dear Mr Li,
I want to thank you for being my high school Math teacher. Without you, I would not have been able to win the Nobel Prize in Physics. You made the class so interesting and engaging that I fell in love with Math in your Math classes. You explained the materials in such a clear way that it made understanding so much easier! Thank you again!
Best regards,
Student A
Letter from student B (student who does not like my teaching)
Dear Mr Li,
I want to thank you for being my high school Math teacher. You reinforced the idea that Math is not the subject for me. I know you explained things quite well, however, I am not just interested in Math and I did not find learning those Math topics helpful in real life. I wish Math classes were more interactive and interesting.
Best regards,
Student B
Good! And my goodness, the Nobel Prize...
ReplyDelete